Wednesday, April 28, 2010

WELCOME


Like so many people, I grew up with endless reruns of the classic Looney Tunes and Tex Avery cartoons, not to mention Tom and Jerry and classic Disney shorts which were just starting to appear on video back in the early 80s.

For my 14th birthday my dad gave me his old Super 8 movie camera - I soon found it could shoot one frame at a time - yes, there were no PCs yet nor animation software. I knew immediately what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing.

MAKING CARTOONS!!!!!

Maybe even make cartoons which hark back to the Golden Age.

I've worked in animation for 18 years now, over that time I've written and sometimes boarded out small shorts only to be thwarted by a lack of funds - don't get me wrong I spent most of my money getting projects started. Maybe in some way the time needed to be right and experience gained before I could pay homage to those classic cartoons which got me started.

I recenty finished my first gig as an episodic director on a CG action series and found myself wondering what to do next, how do I continue directing? An encouraging word of advice from the new managing director of Flying Bark Productions Jim Ballantine got me thinking - it was time to do something that is me.

It's funny how things work, I kept seeing the same writing on the wall, even my producer at Flying Bark  Avrill Stark had similar advice - I was galvanized, having heard what I really needed to hear - time to dust off one of my favorite projects and get going.

So, here I am having decided to document the journey and introduce my characters. In time I hope to show clips of the work in progress maybe even add a comic strip - thank you for joining me.

WELCOME.


No comments:

Post a Comment